1 clove garlic
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
2 large potatoes
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups grated Cheddar
1/4 cup sour cream
2 slices cooked bacon, finely chopped
2 chives, sliced
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Smash a clove of garlic and place it in a small saucepan with the butter. Melt over medium-low heat.
3. Using a sharp knife, make crosswise cuts in each potato about 1/8 inch apart, stopping about 1/4 inch from the bottom. Brush each potato generously with the garlic butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
4. Bake the potatoes for 30 minutes, then take them out and re-brush with the remaining butter. Bake for another 15 minutes, then (using tongs because they will be hot) stuff the potatoes with the cheese in between the slices.
5. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of the potatoes and cook until the cheese has melted. Top with sour cream, bacon and chives.